A Summer Sensation!
The vibrant colors of this dish speak for themselves. Combining the summery colors of yellow, orange, green, and brown, this dish will surely put a sparkle in your eye and a twinkle on your taste buds.
When I traveled to Thailand for a few weeks during the winter break of my sophomore year of college, pineapple fried rice was a staple of mine. At the time, I was new to Thai food, and I was very apprehensive about trying new things after I had found a favorite. I had ordered Pineapple fried rice in several different locations amongst our travel destinations across the country of Thailand; my favorite was in the fisherman village of the island Krabi in which the chef carved out the meat from the inside of the pineapple and replaced it with the cooked pineapple rice dish. When our sever brought out our dishes, mine was beautifully adorned with a whole stuffed pineapple and purple orchid flowers on the side for garnish.
When making this dish, it is best to have all of the prep work done before turning on the heat. Once you start stir-frying, things tend to move at a rapid pace; so my advice is to have all of the veggies and the pineapple chopped and prepped before you start.
- 1 Tablespoon of oil
- 2 Shallots or 1 small white onion
- 4 Garlic Coves
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons of chicken stock or Vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of Soy sauce (or Fish Sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder (optional)
- 3 cups cooked Brown Rice
- 2 cup of pineapple cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup of Peas
- 4 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 cup of Currants (or Raisins)
- 4 Green Onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup of Cilantro (chopped)
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add the shallots, garlic, chopped carrots, and stir-fry until fragrant (approximately 2-3 minutes)
- Add the egg and stir-fry for a minute
- Add the chicken stock, soy sauce, curry powder & Stir-Fry
- Add the rice, break up any clumps, and stir-fry for a few minutes
- Add the pineapple, peas, and raisins; Stir-Fry to mix them in
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with chopped green onions and cilantro
*Add 1 cup of cooked shrimp when introducing the pineapple, peas, and raisins for bit of added protein